'Willie' named parrot saves choking toddler receives 'Animal Lifesaver Award' from the local Red Cross
In 2008, a Quaker parrot named Willie proved to be a hero when he alerted his owner, Megan Howard, to a choking toddler
In 2008, a Quaker parrot named Willie proved to be a hero when he alerted his owner, Megan Howard, to a choking toddler she was babysitting. As 2-year-old Hannah began to turn blue, Willie squawked loudly to grab Megan's attention, repeatedly uttering 'Mama baby.' Responding to Willie's alarm, Megan rushed to Hannah and successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver, ultimately saving the child's life.
Megan acknowledged that without Willie's timely alert, she might not have emerged from the bathroom in time, given that the child was already displaying signs of distress.
In recognition of his life-saving actions, Willie received the Animal Lifesaver Award from the local Red Cross chapter.